How to Restrict (Expunge) Records Kept by the Jail

You can restrict records maintained by jails and detention centers if the records have already been restricted. See O.C.G.A. 35-3-37(k)(2).


  1. Record has been restricted pursuant to the law. (See O.C.G.A. §35-3-37).


  1. Submit a written request to restrict the records kept by the jail/detention center.
  2. The request must be granted within thirty (30) days.


  1. Letter requesting restriction. A sample letter is included with these instructions but contact the jail/detention center because they may have their own form.

Posted in: Restriction