How to Seal My Discharged First Offender Case on My GCIC Criminal History Record

While you are under sentence, your First Offender case will show up on your official criminal history report. If your First Offender status was revoked and you were convicted, the conviction will appear permanently on your record. If you successfully completed your First Offender sentence and the arrest and charges still appear on your official report, follow these steps:

  1. Go to the Clerk of Court in the county where you were sentenced and ask for a copy of the final disposition and Order of Discharge in your case.
  2. If an Order of Discharge is in the file, ask the clerk to enter it on your official criminal history report kept by GCIC.
  3. If an Order of Discharge is not in the file, contact your probation officer and ask him/her to request the order.
  4. If your case was resolved a long time ago and/or you can’t contact your probation officer, ask to speak to the supervisor of your probation office.
  5. The probation office should complete the order and send it to the judge, and it will then be filed at the clerk of court and entered into GCIC.
  6. If the clerk does not enter your Order of Discharge, you can mail it, along with a certified copy of the disposition in your case, to GCIC at 3121 Panthersville Road in Decatur so that the record can be corrected. Be sure to include your date of birth on the request to GCIC so that they can identify the appropriate record.

NOTE: If you are convicted of a crime while you are under sentence for a First Offender case, GCIC is required by law to enter a revocation on your criminal history. This does not necessarily mean you were actually revoked. Only a judge may officially revoke your First Offender status. Once an Order of Discharge is entered, GCIC will correct the record.

Posted in: First Offender