“Addressing Legal Reentry Needs Through Pro Bono”
- Date: April 9, 2019
- Time: 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Location: Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, 201 17th NW Suite 1700, Atlanta GA 30363
- Breakfast will be provided, and 3 hours of Ethics CLE credit is included.
Georgia Justice Project, in collaboration with the U.S. Attorney’s Office of the Northern District of Georgia and various Atlanta law firms*, is launching a pro bono project to address the growing need for reentry legal services for returning citizens. Since the summer of 2018, GJP has been assisting returning citizens at Metro Reentry Facility (MRF), a new prison in Atlanta that utilizes a holistic model for services, with removing their most significant legal barriers to reentry. The American Bar Association lists over 47,000 national and state collateral consequences of incarceration that create obstacles to securing employment, housing, and family reunification – critical factors for successful reentry back into society. GJP is now seeking volunteer attorneys to assist us in helping returning citizens move forward to becoming productive members of society.
At the training, you will learn how to spot and resolve the following barriers:
- Removing and resolving legal holds, including criminal detainers and FTAs for traffic offenses that have led to license suspensions
- Securing IDs prior to release
- Modification of child support orders for non-custodial parents
- Various parole issues
- Social service needs and resources
Pro Bono opportunities also include bite-sized commitments:
- Participating in clinics at Metro Reentry Facility to conduct intakes and provide brief advice
- Assisting with research
- Serving as a mentor for new attorneys
Sign up here! Fee is $15 for 3 Hours of CLE Credit
We will have a livestream available for anyone who cannot attend the CLE in person, which will include 3 hours of in-house Ethics CLE credit. If you are interested in this option, please check the ‘Yes, I would like to attend via livestream’ option at the bottom of the sign up form.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED? Contact Molly Scott at GJP at 404-827-0027, ext. 234 or Molly@GJP.org to discuss any questions
*Firms include Alston & Bird, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, and King & Spalding