GJP is looking for a new Director of Development to join our team! Learn more about the position, our organization, and how to apply below.
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Georgia Justice Project (GJP) is an Atlanta non-profit that has been serving those in the criminal justice system for more than 30 years. The organization provides individual legal representation, social service and reentry support, as well as education and advocacy for better laws in Georgia. GJP offices are located on Edgewood Avenue behind the MLK Center in the Old Fourth Ward and have been in this neighborhood since the earliest years. With a staff of 21 attorneys, social workers and administrative staff, GJP has a great network and reputation in the Atlanta legal and non-profit communities.
GJP raises approximately $2 million annually in support of its programs, the majority of which comes from individual and local foundation relationships. A major annual fundraising event, the Grass Roots Justice Awards, raises significant revenue and exposure. GJP also receives congregational and corporate support. GJP has not sought government funding in the past but may reconsider for some special projects in the future.
GJP has several exciting projects on the horizon in addition to current programs. The ideal candidate will lead the growth of GJP’s strategic philanthropic efforts, nurturing and expanding individual and institutional relationships. The Director of Development will manage a full-time development associate, partner with the marketing/communications staff and work closely with the Executive Director, COO, and the Board of Directors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and implement comprehensive annual and long-term development plans to meet established goals and objectives, including strategic initiatives for securing individual major gifts, annual events and appeals, institutional grants, cultivation and stewardship activities, and developing new ways to grow GJP’s donor base.
- Meet or exceed annual budget revenue goals tied to organization’s operating budget
- Establish quantitative and qualitative goals for revenue from all philanthropic sources and the strategies to achieve them.
- Work independently and be self-motivated in initiating contacts with potential donors
- Collaborate with other team and staff members on various projects
- Demonstrate an ability to connect with donors and help them connect with the organization
- Oversee management of gift processing, donor acknowledgement, the donor database, and donor reports.
- Work collaboratively to develop compelling proposals and oversee the development of creative presentations and reports
- Work collaboratively and creatively with marketing staff to appropriately position development opportunities and integrate messages in publications, grant submissions, reports, and collateral materials for cultivating and stewarding donors.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in non-profit development
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred.
- Ability to think creatively to connect GJP’s work with potential donors (individuals and institutional) and networks
- Ability to communicate with current and potential donors in ways that demonstrate an understanding of a complex mission and lead to increased connections and support
- Demonstrated track record of successful fundraising – with an emphasis on securing major gifts and growing overall philanthropic capacity
- Working knowledge of development best practices, trends in development, fundraising tools and technology, and donor research.
- Highly motivated individual who can work effectively, both independently and in a team
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a complex environment
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency with Salesforce and/or other donor databases
- An understanding of the Atlanta legal community is helpful
- An interest in supporting social justice issues
This is a full-time position (Monday – Friday) with some additional evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To submit an application for this position, log onto www.ourfundraisingsearch.com and submit your resume and cover letter. If you have application questions, please email them to email@example.com.